Saturday 16 January 2016

BARCELONA!


Holaaaaaaaa. So i´m currently in the gr8 city of Barna (which I´ve learnt is actually pretty tiny), only halfway through my stay, and I am having a wild old time!

By this point I´ve been away almost seven months and am on the homeward stretch, and in my mind I suppose I hadn´t expected to meet people in Barcelona. I´d mapped it out as more of a calm reflection time on the rest of the trip. But, as she does, fate rather threw me a wild card. The people at my hostel are sooo wonderful, and everyone is so like-minded. Rater like when I was in New York, the hostel seems to have grouped together this archetype of people with similar humour and musings and, forgive me for sounding a bit Enid Blighton, a sense of adventure! Both the staff and guests are just a bunch of travellers, and it´s kind of like being in limbo here, where everyones ¿real? lives are on hold, and everyone sort of exists outside the boundaries of normality and completely avoids responsibilty.. needless to say i feel completely at home (-:

To me, being here certainly feels like it has two definitive parts to it- the day and the night. If you´re familiar with the Barcelona lifestyle you´ll know that you enjoy the day untill about 1pm, siesta till about 5, and then return to the waking world ready for the night. The days have been peaceful and full of the culture you´d expect: seeing the Gaudi´s and Sagrada familiar, markets, sunsets, paella, exploring the city by foot and stumbling upon the places that become meaningful to you. However on the flipside, given a few helpings of free sangria and a mojito things get a little spicier, and I now have a shaved head (a sober but hilarious venture attempting to explain an undercut in a five euro cut shop to a perplexed asian bloke who didn´t speak a word of english or espanol), a new macthing stick and poke tat, a fair share of experience with spanish gay bars and so many bruises I can´t even count. I feel free here, and I feel like this is the beginning again.. Writing it down never really lives up to the experience, but I feel like this is the bang I never planned to end with, and I´m so grateful I have.




                           ´got a fresh cut straight out the salon bitch´- President Kanye West

No comments:

Post a Comment